How to enter your work into the competition:
- Choose a suitable series
The same work can be entered into more than one series.
- Log in to the www.vuodenhuiput.fi site using your Grafia login details starting from January 2nd.
If you don't have Grafia username yet, create an account here first. You can order a new password on the Login page in the top right hand corner.
Once you have logged in, you can form a group with other participants in your agency; within the group, you will all be able to see your competition entries, and cluster the fee.
We recommend using Chrome.
- Enter a new work to the competition
The entry form has five stages: complete them all. You will be able to continue editing the form information within the entry time until the work has been paid for.
Remember to clearly mark all the different components of the work under Work components. The Work description section must be completed in Finnish and English. All other fields can be completed either in Finnish or English. We will request for more precise details of the creators for the shortlisted entries at a later date, so please keep hold of your login details. If your work includes files that exceed 30 MB, you should attach a download link: do not upload the file directly to the form.
Please note that to ensure anonymity, the competition entries must not display the creator’s name.
With each entry, attach 2-4 images both in hi-res and web resolutions. These images will be used in the yearbook and on our website, should the work succeed in the competition.
Please note, that kapa boards will be delivered for the judging. Only virtual materials and physical pieces from for example publications or packaging will serve the basis for judging.
- Pay the registration fee by Jan 20th 5 pm
You can either pay using your online banking codes or a credit card.
- Submit the physical copy of the competition entry
Place the printed registration tag in an envelope and stick it on the reverse (one tag/work). Number the different components of the work (e.g. 1/3, 2/3, 3/3) and write down the registration number (e.g. 0000ABC) on the back of all the material. Write the name of the series and “Best of the Year” on the package. Deliver it to the address below.
Please note that no kapa boards will be delivered. The winning wntries will be asked for physical materials fot the Vuoden Huiput 2021 exhibition separately.
Please note! If the work is fully digital, you will not need to send the printed registration tag or other material: once the fee is paid, the work has been entered into the competition. You will find more detailed instructions under Series-specific instructions.
Delivery and mailing:
Uudenmaankatu 11 B 9
Delivery times: 16.-20.1.2023 10 am - 5 pm.
Contact person for delivery and mailing: Julia Valanne, [email protected], +358 50 5177906
Deadline for submitting works and delivering or mailing the physical material is 20th of January 2023 by 5:00 pm.
Deadline for submitting late entries and delivering and mailing the physical material at 50% + registration fee is 24th of January 2023 5:00 pm.
1. Vuoden Huiput competition consists of 15 series. You can enter works from different sectors of creative design into the competition. Additionally, the annual competition has a Young Creatives series for under 29-year-olds.
- Experiental Design
- Young Creatives
- Wild card: Power of Strategy
2. Each series has its own separate registration instructions.
3. Representatives from organisations in the sector and media can follow the jury work in each series.
4. All the awarded entries are showcased in the annual Vuoden Huiput Exhibition.
5. The successful entries and their creators are included in the Vuoden Huiput Annual.
6. The jury grants Gold and Silver Awards in the different competition series. In addition to the awarded works, the annual also features other work chosen by the jury for the annual. Each jury chooses three to four (3-4) pieces of work for the Silver Award, and of those, one is elevated to Gold.
7. The head of the juries chooses the best work among the Gold Award winners and grants that work the Grand Prix.
8. The Platinum Award is given as recognition to one designer who has, over the years, had a significant impact on the industry through his/her creative input. The head of the juries, together with the chairs of all the juries, chooses and assesses the candidates for the award and grants a maximum of one Platinum Award annually.
9. The Client of the Year Award is given to a person who, according to the jury members, has shown particular skill as a buyer of marketing communication or design and as a cooperation partner. The juries make their suggestions for the award winner to the head of the juries, who makes the final decision.
10. Other special awards are also given out in the different competition series, which can be sponsored by organisations and companies in the industry.
11. A new head of the juries, who supervises the jury work, is chosen for the competition on annual basis. The head of the juries gives his/her assessment of the competition when the awards are granted, in the exhibition opening and in the annual. The head of the juries can take part in the decision-making on invitation by a jury, for example, in case only two jury members are left to make a decision due to conflict of interests.
12. Each competition series’ jury have five (5) members, one of whom is the chair. The chair has the casting vote in case of a tie. Each chair ensures that the objectives, principles and ethical norms of the Vuoden Huiput are met in their series. The chair of each series provides their assessment of the competition entries in the annual and the competition gala.
13. Participants are responsible for insuring their own work, if they wish to do so.
14. The competition awards Finnish design. Thus, the participating works must, for the core parts, have been designed in Finland. The competition is also open to work designed abroad by Finnish designers.
15. All work designed, completed and published after the previous Vuoden Huiput is welcome to participate in the competition.
16. The competition entries are not returned.
17. The competition organiser has the right to organise exhibitions with the work sent to the competition. When a competition entry is successful, and it is chosen for the annual exhibition, the work may need re-mounting. The sender is responsible for the costs incurred by the re-mounting work. The organiser also has the right to replicate the competition entries for the event’s communication, teaching and publication activities and for marketing purposes and to use them in all media free-of-charge. For this purpose, the organiser has the right to add the competition entries to services maintained by third parties (whether in Finland or abroad) accepting the terms and conditions of the service provider in question and, thus, to offer the public access to the work.
18. Competition participants are responsible for ensuring that all the work entered to the competition adhere to copyright regulations.
19. The decisions made by the jury are final and cannot be appealed.
Send 2-4 images of your work in hi-res format as well as in a format suitable for online use. If your work is successful, these images are used on the Best of the Year website and the annual.
Please note, no kapa boards will be delivered to the Vuoden Huiput 2022 competition. If necessary, you can send physical materials to the judging to Grafia's office.
You can submit a variety of visual identities to this series.
Send a link or file to the registration form. You can also send a link to a presentation site.
This series is intended for advertisements designed for different media outlets such as print media and for digital advertisements (different banners, interstitial advertisements etc.).
Send the advertisement in its publication context on a presentation site, as a file and/or video (Vimeo link).
This series is open for publications such as books, magazines and annual reports. The publication can also be in digital format.
We ask you to send the publication in a physical and/or in digital format. If only a section of the publication (e.g. an article or a cover) is entered into the competition, please mark it down on the piece of work and the registration form.
This series is meant for complete campaigns. The campaigns may have been executed using one or more types of media and they may be so called branded content.
You can present the work as a file, video (Vimeo link) or on a presentation site.
5. Experiental Design
In this category, the jury will evaluate the experientialness of the brand or service, which can manifest itself as an experience that extend outside the brand’s traditional core. Contact points, where the brand experience has been enhanced by for example an event, community or collaboration, are in focus.
Depending on the nature of the work, you can send it to the competition on a presentation site, file and/or as a video (Vimeo link). It is best to include a comprehensive presentation video or test codes in the case of digital apps.
This series is open for illustration images and photographs: e.g. book illustrations, advertising images, comics and online illustrations. The image can also be animated.
Please send the work in its publication context either electronically or as a physical copy and mark the participating pages, where necessary. Add electronic images as links or as a file attached to the registration form. Physical pieces of work can be sent as such. Videos should be included as a link to a Vimeo video.
The entries to this series may include moving image from television and cinema advertising to trailers and online videos.
Send your video as a link to Vimeo or another closed platform so that the judging isn't disturbed by advertisements.
This series is open to individual graphic design works such as logos, posters, typefaces, record covers, games or game graphics, postage stamps, infographics, mobile apps, digital publications etc.
Depending on the nature of the work, you can send it to the competition as a file, presentation site and/or as a video (Vimeo link). It is best to include a comprehensive presentation video or test codes in the case of digital apps.
9. Young Creatives
This series is open for under 29-year-olds (aged 28 or under at the time of creating the work). If the creator is a team, the main creator must fulfil the age requirement. The works can represent any marketing communication and design sector (see the other series). They can also be unpublished student projects. This series is free. Please see the instructions to find the series that is best suited to your work.
This series is intended for service concepts or for individual interfaces related to them. The work can be a whole new service or the improvement of an existing one.
You can present the work as a file, video (Vimeo link) and/or on a presentation site. It is best to include a comprehensive presentation video or test codes in the case of digital apps.
This series is for packages and consumer goods.
You can present the work as it is and on a digital promotion file (picture and/or video).
This series is for creative design copy: slogans, headlines, longer written pieces etc.
Send the copy in its publication context, on a presentation site, as a file and/or video (Vimeo link).
This series includes communication designed for outdoor media, such as content for posters, digital screens and events.
Send the outdoor advertisement in its publication context on a presentation site, as a file and/or video (Vimeo link).
The series can include a variety of creative audio design, such as radio advertising (a series with max. 10 parts), jingles, audio logos or other marketing communication-related audio design.
Upload an MP3 file or include a download link in the registration form.
15. Wild Card: Power of Strategy
This year's chief judge's Wild Card puts strategists on a pedestal.
A great strategy responds to the client's challenge, breaks category conventions, knows its target group and clarifies findings, thinking and data into clear, insightful insight. The work entered in the series is evaluated 25% through the end result/creative idea and 75% through the thinking and strategic planning that precedes it, e.g. the client's challenge, background work, insight or insightful thinking.
When submitting the work, in addition to the actual work, it is recommended to verbally open the strategic planning made for max 15 slides.
Normal price: €195 + VAT. / work.
The freelance price for Grafia’s members: €50 + VAT. / work.
Late entry: Register between 21 and 24 January until 5:00 PM at an increased price of +50 % (normal price €292,50 + VAT. / freelance price for Grafia’s members €75 + VAT.).
Once you have registered, you can form a group with others participating in your agency, and within the group, you can cluster the fees.
Entering the Young Creatives series is free-of-charge. The participant must be under the age of 29 (aged 28 or under at the time of creating the work).
A duplicate of Grand Prix pyramid: 390€ + VAT. / pc
A duplicate of Kultahuippu Pyramid: 250 € + VAT. / pc
Additional copies of winner certificates: 60 € + VAT. / the first copy + 5 € + VAT. for additional copies of the same certificate.
5 copies of certificates are automatically delivered to the Gold and Silver winners after the gala. The rates above apply for additional copies after the initial 5.
Get to know the juries' ethical guidelines.